Tuesday, December 07, 2010

100% healthy heart!!

I had my follow up tuesday 12-7 and learned a lot. My heart is very healthy and the Doctors can't find anything wrong with it, from their perspective and tests it is 100% fine physically and electrically. They are not sure exactly what is wrong, but what they think may have happened is an extremely rare heart condition/situation (which there was a paper written on 10-15 years ago with the same type of thing happening to about a half a dozen people). Basically my heart rate became very elevated (due to physical exertion, bike race) and it just shut down. They think the reason for this was that I didn't have enough fluid (simply not drinking enough water).

My prognosis- I'll be able to do everything I did before this happened. I'll be back on the bike end of december/early january!! and racing in 2011 Just no metal detectors on cell phones near my heart :)

My longterm treatment- drink lots and lots and lots of water


They did install a defibrillator in my chest so if this were to happen again my heart would get a shock. Device has to get checked every few months to make sure it is working and they can set specific heart rate where it kicks in (which will be different due to being athletic and having high heart rate). and device gets replaced every 4 years or so because it needs a new battery. Also takes 4-6 weeks for leeds and everything to set. They also put heart catheters in me as well

I also have to follow up with a speech pathologist

Note that I originally thought it was something else (ARVD) which it is not, absolutely no issues with arteries, heart muscle, valves, etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I every time spent my half an hour to read this website's posts all the time along with a mug of coffee.

My site; nivea coupon

shanta islam said...

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
**01****Meditation uk *****
**02**Mental depressed ***